Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2000 08:57:05 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Lauri Laupmaa <mauri@aripaev.ee>
Cc:        "'stable@freebsd.org'" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /usr/lib/crtbegin.o(.init+0x0): multiple definition of `_init'

Lauri Laupmaa wrote:

> > /usr/lib/crtbegin.o: In function `_fini':
> > > /usr/lib/crtbegin.o(.fini+0x0): multiple definition of `_fini'
> > > /usr/lib/crti.o(.fini+0x0): first defined here
> > > configure: failed program was:
> > > #line 623 "configure"
> > > #include "confdefs.h"
> > > main(){return(0);}
> > > (end of "config.log")
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Do I have to buildworld again ? Or only build some fresh libraries ?
> >
> > The only way you can be getting this is if you didn't do an
> > installworld after
> > your cvsup and buildworld. Most of us had problems making
>
> Unfortunately this is not the case... i did "make world" which AFAIK is
> builworld + installworld :(

hmmm. Did you try cd'ing to /usr/src/gnu/lib/csu and try re-building the crt...
functions with the sequence of makes and make install's that I listed? There are
cases with 4.x where make world doesn't work and you need to do the cross build
sequence from /usr/src/UPDATING. I've never trusted "make worlds". That just
isn't the way I do things. I like everything built before I start my installs. I
also got tired of typing the commands make buildworld, make buildkernel
KERNEL=JADE,  make installkernel KERNEL=JADE , make installworld, and etc. I
have a script with them in it and start it and when I come back to the terminal,
it is usually finished. I also ">& step.log" each make so that I have a copy of
the make for each step. I end up with a bworld.log, bkernel.log, inkernel.log
and inworld.log. When my script finishes, I walk into the console and run
mergemaster from there. The script takes a little over 2 hours to run. I have
one running on JADE right now to build 4.2-RC1.

Kent

> L.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA