Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:53:20 +0100
From:      Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up, a bit:  ephemeral port range changes

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 07:18:07PM -0600, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 01:07:13AM -0600, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> > The ephemeral port range determines the maximum number of simultaneous
> > outbound connections that you can have.  As pointed out in a PR (I don't
> > recall the # offhand), our low limit was probably the reason that FreeBSD
> > ran out of steam before the other OSes in the sysadmin benchmark last
> > year.
>
> > Sure it is.  After an installkernel you always have kernel.old sitting
> > around.
>
> You don't need the old kernel, anyway.  You can just use the sysctl
> knobs.

Any reason why we can't just say that in UPDATING, and then the few who
do have problems (and I think it will be few) have an instant fix in
UPDATING while they get their firewall sorted out ?

If/when the change is made, if traffic on the lists warrants then we
can add it to the FAQ as well.

Ceri

--
keep a mild groove on