Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:06:07 -0400
From:      Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting on Mac

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 07:49:53PM +0200, Jochen Fahrner wrote:
> Hi,
> booting FreeBSD on Mac is not really comfortable. A friend of mine
> told me that Fedora installs "yaboot", that is a boot manager like
> GRUB for Linux-i386. Isn't something like that available for FreeBSD
> PPC?
>
> If not, would it be possible to patch the FreeBSD bootonly CD to boot
> the kernel from harddisc? I think this should be easy, but I cannot
> find the right file where I can change the location of the kernel.
>
> Leaving the boot CD always in the drive and pressing "C" on power on,
> is always better than pressing "Opt-CMD-O-F" and entering cryptic
> commands with a german keyboard that has some non-alphabetic
> characters in the wrong place. :-(
>
> Jochen

There is a bootloader, but it's not the easiest thing to install at the moment.
Take a look at the following mailing list thread:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ppc/2008-October/003256.html

You don't need to update your source if you have a recent snapshot, but the rest
of the instructions will make things work.

- Justin