Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 23:42:36 +1030
From:      Leigh Hart <hart@at.dotat.com>
To:        Richard Sather <unclemib@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hardware suggestions

Hi Richard,

Richard Sather <unclemib@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> I have to come up with a shortlist of hardware for a university
> research project.
>
> 	anyone out there have any suggestions for the following:

Sure.

> 	a video camera/framegrabber - something i can hook to a FreeBSD
> 	box and grab mono/color images at 1-10 fps.

At the rough end of the scale, there are QuickCam drivers in FreeBSD,
alternatively, the LINT kernel config suggests there is support for a
Cortex-I frame grabber (ctx).

Otherwise, check out www.freebsd.org and check the supported hardware list.

> 	wireless lan hardware - i need to broadcast images to a receiving
> 	station located inside a 500m radius.

WaveLAN cards work quite nicely - I've got two offices hooked up
between two buildings (250mtrs line of sight).  Contact Integrity
Data Systems on 08 9409 1011, either Ross Chiswell or Steve should
be able to help you.  Circa $500 each, there are other products too.

Cheers

Leigh
--
| "By the time they had diminished | Leigh Hart, <hart@dotat.com> |
|  from 50 to 8, the other dwarves | Dotat Communications Pty Ltd |