Date:      01 Dec 2001 13:38:54 -0600
From:      James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>
To:        Jonathan Hilgeman <JHilgeman@ecx.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Slow/Fast Bandwidth Spurts

Jonathan Hilgeman <JHilgeman@ecx.com> writes:

> I have a FreeBSD box at home running behind a router on a DSL connection.
> I have a Windows 2000 box running at a different location on a T1
> connection. It is also behind a firewall.
> I use SecureCRT on Windows 2000 to connect to my FreeBSD box via port 22
> (SSH1).
> For about 5-10 seconds of my session, the speed is instantaneous - no
> problems whatsoever.
> All of a sudden, I will hit a slow-down and things I type will take 3
> seconds to echo back from the server.
> Suddenly it will be back at full speed for a few seconds.
> This cycle loops forever - it is driving me nuts. Any thoughts on this?
>
> I know that the data is not getting filtered by firewalls or something
> because it WILL come through eventually, but the speed just randomly goes
> from fast to slow to fast to slow over and over again. No patterns that I
> can detect - I'm running Apache and MySQL but nobody knows about the box.
>
> Any reasons this might happen?

My setup is very similar to yours except I have a cable modem instead
of ADSL. I had the exact symptom occur. In trying to find out what was
happening while logged in to my home system from work (home is where
the BSD is) I started pinging and found a 30% packet loss on my home
firewall's outside interface. When I got home I found that the jumper
cable from the firewall to the cable modem had bee tugged real hard
(probably my cats horsing around). I removed and reinserted the cable
securely and the problem went away.

Hope yours is as simple.

Jim