Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:49:54 +0100
From:      Eirik =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D8verby?= <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        Krzysztof Kowalik <kkowalik@uci.agh.edu.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance issues in 5.3-RELEASE.

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 10:40 +0100, Krzysztof Kowalik wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    Recently I took some time to upgrade my home 4.9 system to
> 5.3-RELEASE (fortunately, taking full system dump before, so I can
> easily get back). In fact just after upgrading I ran into the weird
> issue during installation for firefox port.
>
> When firefox-1.0-source.tar.bz2 is getting untared, the system starts to
> be *slow*: any music starts to be jittered and the cursor in X stalls
> from time to time for ~1 second.

I have reported this on *several* occations over the last year or so, as
have others. However, apart from some time early this year/late last
year, it doesn't seem to have received due attention.

This is a serious problem for anyone using 5.3 on a desktop - which I
have very much legitimate reasons for doing - though I haven't really
noticed problems on servers due to this. It seems to be linked to the
system CPU load (not user CPU load), which would be logical.

Everyone seemed to think it was ULE related (and this showed up long
before PREEMPTION became an issue), but it is not...

Here's to hoping someone looks into it - I certainly ain't capable of
doing so ;)

/Eirik
PS: Apart from that I have to agree with what others have stated: 5.3 is
a truly wonderful release...