Date:      29 Sep 2000 10:29:49 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Charles Richmond <cmr@sitaranetworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware/Software Multia/UDB questions

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 06:23:25 -0400, Charles Richmond <cmr@sitaranetworks.com> said:

Charles> The internal drives generate a lot of heat for what is very
Charles> little drive space (in today's world). Taking out the drive
Charles> will do enough for the cooling.  Mind you, I could be
Charles> convinced otherwise if I new of a source for cheap 2.5" SCSI
Charles> drives of reasonable size. I loaded up all 3 flavours of BSD
Charles> on various alphas and the Multia is currently running OpenBSD
Charles> 2.6. I could probably switch that around if there was an
Charles> over-riding reason.

How hard would it be to turn a diskless multia into a diskless X-term?
I've been avoiding doing anything with mine due to fear of heat-death.
If running diskless can be done -- preferably as an Xterm, not a full
OS -- I'd be all over it.

Thanks.