Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:11:19 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Detecting ECC errors

	CC'ing -hackers in case we can scare up some interest . . .

Mike Smith wrote:

> >       Hi.  I took a look over the archives and noticed this ancient
> > thread.  (1998)  However, I checked the handbook and LINT for options on
> > how FreeBSD logs ECC errors, but I could not find anything.  Has this
> > finally been implemented?  Or is there currently no way for the OS to
> > detect the # of corrections / detections of errors by DIMM slot?
>
> You're correct; there isn't.  It's a relatively simple task that's been
> waiting for a junior hacker to come along and take it up.  It's also
> devillishly difficult to _test_ such code...

	This would be a very valuable thing to have though (just to restate the
obvious). We had a sun machine go down at work with no symptoms at
all... other than the log which showed that ECC errors were being caught
and corrected (mostly) at a furious pace. If not for that log we would
have spent hours testing possible reasons for the crash.

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"