Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 22:47:08 +1100 (EST)
From:      Peter Hoskin <peterh@ripewithdecay.com>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rate-limiting uptime went backwards?

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:

> On Saturday, Nov 2, 2002, at 00:37 US/Eastern, Peter Hoskin wrote:
>
> > Those messages are usually due to a faulty system clock. Generally,
> > when
> > you generate a bit of load these messages will appear. The reason why
> > they
> > aren't rate limited is they are an important kernel message.
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> What I do not understand still is how DoSing my machine with these
> messages is going to be beneficial. It is bad enough that my clock is
> not operating correctly so I can do without kernel log messages
> grinding the machine to a halt.

Its not a DoS attack. DoS attacks are a completely different thing,
entirely.

> My question stands: how is a message once a second going to be less
> noticeable than a thousand per second?

Usually you don't get as many messages. On the computers I've seen
with a faulty system clock, one of these messages will appear every minute
or so when the system is under high CPU usage or memory usage. Your system
clock must be damaged badly. I recommend you replace your motherboard.