Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 14:49:43 +0400
From:      Alex Kapranoff <kappa@agava.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   WindowMaker freeze

Good day, people!

I have problems with WindowMaker. It just freezes all of a sudden about
1 or 2 times a day. It starts to hog CPU and has a 'RUN' state in top(1)
output.

It's a -STABLE world and kernel about two or three weeks old. XFree86
4.2.0, windowmaker-0.80.0_1.

I experience this behaviour for about two months now. And about 2.5
months ago I first installed FreeBSD on this box, so I suppose this
could also be some hardware problem. It's a p2-400 with Riva128. Works
like a charm, except for windowmaker. I repeatedly make worlds on it for
stress, and it succeeds.

I have been using windowmaker on XFree86-4 for more than a year (on
other boxes) and it was rock-solid. I don't remember a single crash or
freeze!

How can I debug the problem? I tried to recompile kernel and windowmaker
without CPUTYPE setting with the same results.

Can anyone help me? Should I start bugging windowmaker maintainers?

--
Alex Kapranoff,
AGAVA Software.