Date:      Sun, 9 Oct 2005 13:52:50 +0400
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com>
To:        Live-Wire <livewire@echotrace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cheap Hardware for Home Network

On 10/9/05, Live-Wire <livewire@echotrace.com> wrote:
> I'm building a new box specifically do take care of a lot of things on
> my home network; dns, qmail,
> apache, sftp, printer server, a fileserver, etc. Some of the services,
> like apache, will also be exposed to
> the internet, but only for the use of friends and family. And most
> important, I'm doing this all on the cheap -
> for less than$600 (and the less, the better). I was wondering what sort
> of hardware setups people could
> recommend? Priceis the #1 consideration, followed by reliability, then
> speed. But that doesn't mean
> I want to neglect the latter two- what sort of specs should I be
> shooting for? What is necessary for the kind
> of activities I want to do.
>
> I'm hellbent on AMD, and the Sempron 3100+ (754) is looking pretty
> sharp. I have a GeForce4 Ti 4600 lying
> around that I can stick in, but because I want to use 2 SATA 150
> hardrives in RAID 1, finding an AGP 4X
> mobo with 754 and SATA w/ RAID 1 is neigh impossible. So it looks like
> my best bet is to find
> a mobo with onboard gigabit ethernet, video, and sound (only the first
> of which is important), but that still
> limits me apropos the 754 cpu and the SATA.
>
> So again, this is a nice opportunity to buy hardware specifically
> tailored for what I am using it for - I have zero
> concern for expandability. What is the best fit?
>
> Thanks -
> JNK
rg"

I have Gigabyte K8VT800 Pro motherboard
(http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/Products_GA-K8VT800%20Pro.ht=
m)
and Sempron 2500+ (256Kb cache, 64-bit, SSE3)
on my file-server. For me - it's a wonderful combination.
With an updated BIOS firmware it supports up to
10 disk devices (8 IDE + 2 SATA), Gigabit
network and is rock-solid. I run FreeBSD/i386 on
it, but I tried amd64 before - and it works great.

It's quite cheap ($60 for the board, $60 for the
box version of the CPU), and it certainly rocks,
believe me. BTW, it should support your Ti
4600!

Cheerz,
Andrew P.