Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 16:23:55 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        edmond@UWYO.EDU (Andrew N. Edmond)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware Tailoring...

Andrew N. Edmond stands accused of saying:
> > > Inter Pentium Pro 200mhz
> >
> > This is a very poor choice.  None of the PPro motherboards on the open
> > market at the moment are suitable for use in servers.  You will either
> > need to purchase a system from Intel's Server division (the 'Alder' board
> > is known to work well), or go back to a high-end P5.
>
> It *is* an Intel motherboard - not proprietary at all (though I did find
> many of them out there).  If it is an INTEL motherboard, I figure I
> should be fine.

Read My Lips.  None of the PPro motherboards on the open market...
I didn't make the point for the fun of it.  All of the commonly-available
PPro motherboards are based on the Orion chipset.  This chipset is
significantly flawed.  The flaw limits PCI bus bandwidth to about 4M/sec.
This is Very Slow.

The Intel Server Group has a board known as the Alder.  This board works.
I doubt very much that this is the board that you have, as they are not
commonly available.

Unless you are 100% ab-so-loutely _certain_ that this is the board you
have, or that the board that you have has the Orion bug worked around,
the board you have is a _lemon_.  Compute performance will be good,
I/O throughput will _suck_.

> I had no choice in the matter - it is a package deal after all - and I
> *have* heard good things about the monitor, even though the Sony may be a
> better monitor, are they specific things I need to be aware about this
> monitor?

Yeah.  I have one, I know several other people who have them.  Your
mileage may vary, but mine is just slowly fading away.  It's been back under
warranty every couple of months for the last year to be adjusted, but they
claim every time that they've "fixed it now for sure".  Contrast to the Sonys
on desks around here; they go like troopers and have the most beautiful
colour I've seen in a tube.

> BTW - ports are nice, but I still can download source and compile it
> myself, yes?  (Such as NCSA httpd v1.5)?

The whole 'port' system is based on that premise; you get the _original_
source code, automate the application of any patches that are known to be
required, and then compile it right under your nose.

Btw, the Apache httpd is much better than the NCSA one 8)

> .  Andrew Edmond              .   Children of a future age,                 .

Hope that's some help...