Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:08:19 +0100
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        Christy Roberts <christy@genesis.mun.ca>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Brand new user!

Someone, quite probably Christy Roberts, once wrote:
>We're trying to set up a phpBB bulletin board on our website (which
>doesn't actually exist yet haha), that will use MySQL as the back end.
>We received an Apache server from tech services that has FreeBSD already
>installed on it.  And we're on our own now!  I just burned MySQL and
>phpBB onto a CD and am going to try to install them on the server.
>
>I have never used unix before nor do I have any experience working with
>servers or hardware.  I'm a software developer YIKES!  Does anyone have
>any tips or hints for me?  I would really appreciate this as I have no
>idea where to begin YIKES! :)

Ports are your friends :-)

Having a vague idea about the ports system will *really* make your life
easier.  You'll find all you need to know at <URL: http://www.freebsd.or
g/doc/handbook/ports.html > but basically it reduces installing
something like MySQL into easy steps like:

# cd /usr/ports/database/mysql323-server
# make
# make install
# make clean

Btw, you should also look at /usr/ports/www/phpbb

In terms of managing ports etc. you need cvsup and portupgrade, both can
be installed form the ports or with a simple:

# pkg_add -r cvsup
# pkg_add -r portupgrade

For both you can read the handbook at <URL: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/h
andbook/ > or pay a visit to <URL: http://www.freebsddiary.org/ > where
things are explained in a more informal manner.

Kevin
--
kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk