Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2013 17:09:56 +0100
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem adding SCSI quirks for a SSD, 4K sector and ZFS

On Jan 24, 2013, at 12:19 PM, Steven Hartland wrote:

>=20
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Borja Marcos" <borjam@sarenet.es>
with ZFS and sector size detection as well.
>>=20
>> I am doing tests with an OCZ Vertex 4 connected to a SAS backplane.
>>=20
>> < OCZ-VERTEX4 1.5>                 at scbus6 target 22 lun 0 =
(pass19,da15)
>>=20
>> (The blank before "OCZ" really appears there)
>>=20
>> pass19: < OCZ-VERTEX4 1.5> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-5 device
>> pass19: Serial Number OCZ-1SVG6KZ2YRMSS8E1
>> pass19: 3.300MB/s transfers
>>=20
>> I am bypassing an "aac" RAID card so that the disks are directly =
attached to the da driver, instead of relying on the so-called JBOD =
feature.
>>=20
>> I have had a weird problem, with the disk being unresponsive to the =
REQUEST CAPACITY(16) command. Weird, seems it timeouts.
>>=20
>> So, just to complete the tests, I have added a quirk to scsi_da.c. =
Anyway, I also need the disk to be recognized as a 4K sector drive.
>>=20

(...)

> Simple answer is ZFS doesn't understand quirks. The attached patch =
does
> what you're looking for along with a few other things, see notes at
> the top for details.
>=20
> Its not a final version as there's still some discussion about
> implementation details but it should do what your looking for.

Oh, sorrry for the confusion! I assumed that the da driver would =
announce a 4 KB sector instead of the 512 bytes due to the quirks.=20

Which  brings an interesting question, I might have a potential time =
bomb in my experimental machine at home. It's a ZFS mirror with two 500 =
MB disks. One of the has 512 byte sectors, the other is "advanced =
format".=20

Borja.