Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 1996 19:05:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: fseek

As Paul Richards wrote:

> Why has the second paramater of fgets changed from int to size_t ?
>
> Doesn't the ANSI standard have something to say about this, similarly
> ftell has a const added.

Our definitions are ``more correct'', but violate ANSI.  They have to
be changed, or we cannot claim them ANSI compliant.  (I've also
stumpled across this when importing lint.)

> Breaks the building of llib-lstdc but I don't want to change the lint
> library since it looks right from my reading of K&R 2 and our files
> look wrong. What's the correct thing to do?

Btw., since you happen to continue the work on lint...  Our libc
includes two different ``struct pmap''s.  One is the well-known one
for the portmapper, the other one sneaked in from the VM code and
describes a ``page map'' (or something like this).  We need to change
one of them, most likely the latter one, in order to ever get libc
linted.  I've once tried to add a ``pmap_t'' typedef for the latter
type, but broke everything with it, since i've apparently overlooked
something.  This was about the point where i've stopped attempting to
get lint fully included.

More nits back from the old days (might or might not still apply):

<machine/endian.h> has definitions of the form:

 #define        ntohl   __byte_swap_long

...but needs to also get prototypes for the functions, perhaps an
#ifdef __lint might help.

<vm/vm_param.h> redefines TRUE and FALSE, without protecting them
by an #ifndef.

--
cheers, J"org