Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:29:09 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        tj <aggravator@aggravator.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my freebsd su has been compromised, now what?

tj wrote:

>  he also made himself a backdoor to
> root. I found the file(or did I?!?)

probably, he wasn't trying to hide it..

[...]

> do I have to start over, like my ISP friend recommends

did you install from CDROM?
if so make a list of all the files that differ from the
2nd CD (live file system)

use 'find' to check for all SUID programs
and check them all
chack all the file sin /etc/for changes (compare against the
cd or the distribution) and check the dates.
check his passwd entry and check /etc/ttys and /etc/group
(among other things).
it doesn't sound like he was doing much.. I might do that
myself if I was setting up a machine, just in case I
accidently shut myself out of root during the testing..

Just consider yourself as having learned a lesson.