Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 12:28:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, "Mark J. Taylor" <mtaylor@cybernet.com>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig: changing mac address

On Friday, 14 May 1999 at 21:54:02 -0500, David Scheidt wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> :
> :If you have two different nets, why do you need the same Ethernet
> :address?
> :
>
> Transparent redundancy.  With them both up on the same MAC address, if one
> fails, you have no loss of connection, though you may drop some packets, of
> course.  Most of the time you get twice the bandwidth.
>
> David, who doesn't want to think about writing a driver for this.

OK, now maybe I'm missing something here.  But an Ethernet address is
used to identify a board.  Arp binds it to an IP address.  An IP
address is bound to a network.  So if you're on a different network,
you get a different IP address.  Why do you need the same Ethernet
address?

This is very different from having two boards on the same network,
both with the same Ethernet address.  As I observed earlier, that does
make sense, but it's a hot standby situation.  I can't see any point
in arranging for both of them to accept or send data.

Greg