Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 18:08:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master

> From owner-freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG  Mon May  7 17:51:53 2001
> To: "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master
>
> I simply think it's inconvenient for mirror operators to host bits that
> are not obtained even one-tenth of 1% of the time as the newest
> releases/packages.  Not everyone has 50GB of disk space to dedicate
> to FreeBSD, and I don't see a reason to expect that.  :)

There is another advantage as well.  Even if I've got 50Gb of disk
space to contribute to the cause I can set up mirroring of the primary
tree every night and the [painful] archive section weekly if there is
a clean separation between the two.

IMO deciding the purpose of the FTP site before deciding what goes in
it seems wise.  I'd propose there actually be two purposes.  Primary
purpose is supporting people interested in the current stuff,
secondary purpose is archival.  Perhaps as a starting point:

   - supports FTP-based install procedure for two (frozen) releases
   - ports installation for same
   - support for -stable and -current
   - easy access to some set of current source files, perhaps as
     "single tarballs" analogous to snapshots (don't break up the
     tar files to make them easier to understand for novice)
   - support tools

The rest moves to an archive area and/or available only via CVSup.

    ken