Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:13:51 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        jacks@sage-american.com
Cc:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "Giorgos Keramidas" <charon@labs.gr>, "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anonymous-ftp cracked

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:08:17 EST, jacks@sage-american.com wrote:

> Your tips for monitoring (like the script for a daily listing of the
> directory) are so simple and obvious it put a smile on my face. Thanks! LUV
> this list!

Since the damage of a cross-post is mostly done, I'm surprised nobody
bothered to point out that, since you're already running -CURRENT
(irrespective of whether it's a suitable platform for you to use),
you may as well take advantage of the new -o and -O "write-only mode"
options to ftpd.

In your case, you probably want -O, "write-only mode for anonymous users
only".

There's no substitute for reading the documentation that accompanies the
software you use.

Ciao,
Sheldon.