Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 1998 17:50:06 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        =?koi8-r?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Pine 4.00 port (completed)

Hi,

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, [koi8-r] Андрей Чернов wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 02:04:46AM +0300, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
> >      So this is a not-so-easy to fix bug, this would require modifying the
> >      program's design and philosophy; anyway, Mark Crispin, one of the
> >      main developers, stated that version 4.01 of Pine will include a new
> >      option that will disable trashing the user's mailbox with these
> >      IMAP hidden messages (well, hidden for Pine, but very real & clean
> >      for all those other MUAs and mailcheck widgets). So I think it's
> >      better to hold on what we've got now and wait for the 4.01 version.
>
> I think it is easy to fix it since standard IMAPD not require this junk in
> user mailbox. Disabling junk writting code in Pine for now will be enough.

 Contrarely: IMAPD *does* need to have the IMAP signature in
/var/mail/$USER, but Pine *doesn not* need an IMAP signature in
/var/mail/$USER (see Pine 3.96's behavior). I have IMAPD/IPOPD running on
our server and every user that uses POP3 or IMAP to retrieve his mail
has an IMAP signature in /var/mail/$USER; I use Pine 3.96 and no POP3/IMAP
and I don't have any IMAP signatures in my /var/mai/$USER;
 However, Pine 4.00 changed the strategy -- while 3.96 didn't have any
IMAP signatures (not even in his ~/mail/... folders) 4.00 uses IMAP
signatures for _every_ mail folder. I believe this is because 4.00 uses a
different default driver than 3.96 (3.96 was using "bezerk" while 4.00
uses "unix" -- hmmm, just like imapd's "unixproto" ?).

 Anyway, I'll have a closer look at all these IMAP things...

> P.S. I just commit your port.

 Thanks!

  Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)