Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:24:43 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetBSD package system features

--==_Exmh_401721368P

I'm going to reply to three of your messages at one time if that's OK...

If memory serves me right, Jason R Mastaler wrote:

> "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
>
> > Well...almost but not quite.  I think the work with pkg_add and
> > bsd.port.mk is a prerequesite to doing an update target.  The
> > pkg_add modification is in 5-CURRENT and 4-STABLE; the bsd.port.mk
> > is awaiting a commit.
>
> What is holding up this commit?

Satoshi Asami's lack of free time.

> Can't you do it?

No.  Only Asami-san touches bsd.port.mk.

> > But in seriousness, I thought there was some talk about adopting
> > some parts of NetBSD's pkgsrc system for FreeBSD, discussed on this
> > list at one point in the past.
>
> It would be nice if there was some kind of "TODO" list for the FreeBSD
> ports system, so that interested parties who want to do some of this
> work could browse thru it.

Usually, the problem our project has is that there's more work than
people to do the work.  I'd say if you find some problem that you think
needs fixing, go ahead and start working on it.  Well, maybe after a
note to the appropriate list to make sure you're not reinventing the
wheel.  For the case of the Magic Package Updating Utility, there's a
lot of past discussion on -ports.  Also, I think there is some relevance
with the OpenPackages project, in that whatever they come up with will
probably have some bearing on issues like updating.

> It seems more useful to create an "update" make target instead of
> detaching the functionality into yet another (un)maintained utility.

I fail to see what part of pkg_* is unmaintained.  Anyways, I think the
hard part, for whomever decides to take this on, will be to get the
functionality right.  Whether it manifests itself as a make target or
an executable is, IMHO, a secondary consideration.

Cheers,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_401721368P

--==_Exmh_401721368P--