Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:59:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      wellsian <wellsian@caffeine.com>
To:        "Stephen D. Spencer" <bsd-q@boneyard.lawrence.ks.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump and multiple filesystems

I'm not aware of a way to dump multiple filesystems in a single pass of
dump, but you can certainly dump more than one filesystem per tape if you
use the non-rewinding device for each dump. (The device name prefixed with
"n".) Is this what you're looking for?

Assuming you're using the rsa0 tape device:

 mt -f /dev/rsa0 rewind
 dump -0u -f /dev/nrsa0 filesystemA
 dump -0u -f /dev/nrsa0 filesystemB
 ...and so on...

These two dumps will now be arranged in sequence on the one tape.

And to restore stuff from filesystemB sometime in the future:

 mt -f /dev/rsa0 rewind
 mt -f /dev/nrsa0 fsf 1
 restore -if /dev/nrsa0

You'll need to be diligent about logging backups, so you can find things
later, but it works just fine.

Hope this helps.

Dave