Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 04:08:45 +0100
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>
To:        Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ICQ and NAT again.. :(

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 09:21:05PM -0500, Allen Landsidel wrote:
> To be able to open a TCP connection to port 5190 on login.icq.com
>
> After that, it needs nothing.  Configure it to use no listening ports, and
> it will use none and work just fine by transferring messages through the
> server.

Does this work for file transfers too? /me doesn't think so. File transfers
require direct connection, that's what the range of listening ports are for
if I am not completely mistaken...

> I am currently using ICQ on my windows box, behind a FreeBSD
> firewall.  While I am not behind NAT, I allow no incoming traffic to this
> box except for those my box has created going out; it works fine.

I use that too (keeping state of connections) of course, so the traffic
between me and login.icq.com on port 5190 should work without problems. It does
indeed work; if it didn't how could ICQ even connect and go online?

> #1 : If you are using ICQ, upgrade to the latest version.

Already using the latest version (2001b).

The problem is not port 5190 on login.icq.com, traffic going there from
me is always allowed back in.

Comments?
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos