Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 19:30:49 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gavin Cameron <gavin@itworks.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Serial port problems

Hi,

I've just acquired 2 servers to run 2.2.6-RELEASE on. They are both using
Iwill P55XUB motherboards. The book that came with the motherboard says
that the onboard serial ports are NS16C550 compatible.

The first serial port is setup as 3F8 and IRQ 4, and the second port is at
2F8 and IRQ3.

Both machines will eventually have a serial console on them.

If I boot the machine up using the video card as the console the kernel
cannot find the serial ports.

If I boot up using a serial console I get the boot messages coming through
loud and clear (so the serial port was probed and is working), but the
kernel panic as soon as is probes for the serial ports. The last message
before the cu session closed is
  Probing for devices ocu: Got hangup signal

which is the probing of the ISA bus message.

If I cu again and enter cont into ddb I get

fault virtual address   = 0x4
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf01c37ee
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xefbfff80
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xefbfff80
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 0 ()
interrupt mask          =
kernel: type 12 trap, code=0
Stopped at      _cninit_finish+0x26:    movl    0x4(%edx),%eax

I've got the serial connection open and waiting in the debugger. If
someone has an idea of where I should be looking to solve the problem,
please email me.

Thanks
Gavin

| Gavin Cameron                       |           ITworks Consulting         |
| Ph    : 0418 390350                 |      Suite 100, 85 Grattan Street    |
| Fax   : +61 3 9347 6544             |           Carlton,  Victoria         |
| Email : gavin@itworks.com.au        |            Australia,  3053          |