Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 20:49:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        walton@nordicrecords.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AEC-4412 SCSI-SCSI RAID

Dave Walton wrote...
> I was just setting one of these up on 2.2.6 and ran into something
> odd.  (Yeah, I know 2.2.6 is old.  I'll be reinstalling with 3.2 once I
> get all the drives hooked up to the RAID.)
>
> The relevent config settings look like this:
>
>   controller      ahc0
>   controller      scbus0 at ahc0 bus 0
>   device          sd0
>   disk            sd0 at scbus0 target 0 unit 0
>
> And here's what I see in dmesg:
>
>   (ahc0:0:0): "Adaptec AEC-4412BS 1.2." type 0 fixed SCSI 2
>   sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 8999MB (70420800 134 byte
> sectors)
>

> The problem?  The array on LUN 0 has a capacity of 34381MB, not
> 8999MB.  For some reason, it's reporting 134 byte sectors, instead
> of the standard 512 byte sectors (which would produce the correct
> disk size).  What could be causing this, and how can I correct it?

If you want to change the sector size, edit mode page 3.  To find out how
to edit mode pages, read the scsi(8) man page.

The sector size may or may not be changeable from a mode page.  If it
isn't (or even if it is), you should look at the manual for this device.

After you change the sector size, you may have to low-level format the
array.  (see scsiformat(8))

> Another thing I notice is that I cannot seem to access sd0 with
> anything.  Any attempt returns "Device not configured".
> Suggestions?
>
> (Please CC me in replies)

It's hard to say what's wrong there.  It could be any number of things.  It
would be much easier to diagnose if you were running 3.x.

It may have something to do with the sector size, though.  I dunno for
sure.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry