Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 08:05:39 -0700
From:      "Stephen P. Burch" <sburch@comput.cs.mci.com>
To:        invalid opcode <coredump@nervosa.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I have a 3com Etherlink III card 3C509B-COMBO that didn't configure

invalid opcode wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 1996 sburch@comput.cs.mci.com wrote:
>
> > I have a 3com Etherlink III card 3C509B-COMBO that didn't configure when I
> > booted my system.  I am just learning UNIX and am not sure how to get it to
> > configure.  What should I do?  looking at the documentation I see that the
> > Steve, Lost in  FreeBSD land.  :-)
>
> Did ep0 just not show up when you booted it? Do you have win95 on this
> same machine? Try booting the kernel with the -c option (enter at boot
> prompt), and type visual when you get to the second prompt.
>
> == Chris Layne ==============================================================
> == coredump@nervosa.com ================= http://www.nervosa.com/~coredump ==

Two things I did.  1st, went into the 3C509B-COMBO install disk and found that
was set to plug and pray.  There was the option to turn off the p&p, which I did
and then I reconfigured the adaptor.
2nd. I booted Freebsd with -c and went visual.  found that the base address was
set at 300h in the config and that the actual base address of the adaptor was
340h.  I modified that and Q out of config.  The system booted up SEEING the card.
Thanks for the help.

comment of the week:  Blessed are the Flexible
                       for they shall not be
                        bent out of shape!
Steve Burch