Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 11:12:37 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File Size limit?

On Sat, Jan 31, 1998 at 05:53:06PM +1030, Mike Smith wrote:

> > What is it under FreeBSD?
> >
> > I see that _BSD_OFF_T_, which is the parent of the LSEEK argument, is
> > defined as "long long".  Is this a 64-bit quantity, implying that we have
> > file sizes allowed beyond 2GB (or 4GB)?
>
> That's correct.  off_t must be signed (to allow seeking backwards), so
> the old limit was 2GB.
>
> I can vouch that at least basic operations (read, write, mmap() of a
> region) work on files > 2GB, as I used this functionality recently.
> (Analysis of an atmospheric simulation, if anyone cares.)

The reason its important to me is that I have a rdbms application (under
Postgresql) on a RAIDified disk pack that has over 32GB of total space.

I *already* have tables of over 1G out there... and expect to cross the 2G
boundary within a year.  Having it blow up in my face would be most
"uncool".

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service