Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:07:36 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, ports@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/devel/boehm-gc/patches patch-aa

-On [20000317 03:15], Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami (asami@FreeBSD.org) wrote:
> * From: John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
>
> * Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
> * >  * From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>
>
>Ok, but my observation contradicts asmodai's findings.  Both the PR
>and asmodai reports this error on 3-stable, and asmodai said mktable
>segfaults under 4-{current,stable}.  I saw this on 4-current (actually
>4.0-release, this is the package building machine).

Yeah ok, but I also did this on this 5.0 box (which isn't that different
from 4.0-RELEASE/4.0-CURRENT) at this moment and that solves my
problems.  Keeping the rev 1.5 patch-aa on my 5.0 box does indeed yield
the same problem as on STABLE (I erroneously thought it segfaulted).

> * > now that I've reverted patch-aa to rev. 1.4 and rebuilt the boehm-gc
> * > package, this is what I get.
> * >
> * > ===
> * >  :
> * > ./mktable 100 tagtable.tab > tagtable.c
> * > Segmentation fault - core dumped
> * > *** Error code 139
> *
> * Hmm, that I don't understand.  The guy who filed the PR said that
> * reverting patch-aa made it all work for him.  He's running
> * 3.4-stable from March 4, by the way.
>
>This looks like what asmodai reported on 4-{current,stable}.

No, I retested, and I get the same problem as with 3.4-STABLE, that
bogus characters get inserted into tagtable.c.

I wonder.  My CFLAGS/COPTFLAGS are set to -O2 -g -pipe, so it might be
the debugging symbols which stabilise the app.  I have seen often
before.

>By the way, I repeated the tests on a 3-stable chroot environment (on
>a 4-current machine), and it fixed the w3m and ja-w3m builds.

Good.

But I am still wondering where the segfaults come from...

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<asmodai@bart.nl>                      VIA NET.WORKS The Netherlands