Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:50:15 +0100
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@izr.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Monitoring a BIND 8 server

BSD Freak (bsd-freak@mbox.com.au) wrote:
> I am running a pair of FreeBSD 4.3 / BIND 8 DNS servers and I want to
> monitor in real time the requests being made/satisfied. Kind of the
> way you can "tail -f" a proxy/web server log file .... Anyone know how
> to do this?

You could add something like this in your named.conf:

logging {
	channel log {
		file "/var/log/named.log";
	};

	category queries { log; };
};

The queries category will quickly fill up /var if you don't keep an eye
on it. One of my (not that busy) nameservers will make about 80 megs of
logs in an hour.

Cheers,

--

Mark Drayton