Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 20:36:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
Cc:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@daemonnews.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NAI Labs Announces DARPA-Funded FreeBSD Security Initiative

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Robert Clark wrote:

> How have things been going?
>
> I see active involvement in the list, by people from NAI.
>
> What has been happening? How are people?

We're really still just ramping up at this points -- government contracts
have a long an laborous life cycle.  The process of getting our
sub-contractors going took a while due to contracting complications, and
so that work should be going soon also, and will involve more of the
FreeBSD development community, so there should be more visible action on
that front.  One area where we've made a lot of progress is in porting the
LOMAC security work to FreeBSD -- that's almost done, and we actually hope
to import it as an optional kernel module in FreeBSD 5.0 (if you follow
the lomac-users list, you've seen new releases come out supporting
FreeBSD, and under a BSD license).  You will be seeing some announcements
about that soon.  Most of my travel and TrustedBSD work is now being
funded by DARPA, and so more of that is happening, and shortly the
resources allocates to LOMAC will be going towards more TrustedBSD work.

We're also looking to hire one or two FreeBSD kernel-hacking security
types, especially if they live in the Washington, DC area.  We also have
LA and Santa Clara offices (resumes to rwatson@tislabs.com).

Since there has been substantial interest, I'll send out a status note in
the next two weeks to give a bit more of a material resposne :-).