Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2013 06:01:34 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        Bernhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=F6hlich?= <decke@bluelife.at>, vbox@freebsd.org, bug-followup <bug-followup@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/182468: [patch] lang/gcc builds unrunnable emulators/virtualbox-ose

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

On 2013-Nov-17 16:32:46 -0500, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Bernhard Fr=F6hlich <decke@bluelife.at> w=
rote:
>>  I think the idea and approach is correct but I went for a slighly more
>>  conservative
>>  approach if _GCC_RUNTIME was not set which is true in case base gcc is =
used=3D

>This can not possibly be correct as the variable begins with a "_".
>The initial proposed patch is also incorrect for a similar reason.
>_GCC_RUNTIME is not valid for use in a ports Makefile.

I completely agree.  As I initially stated, this is solely a work-
around for a bug in lang/gcc*.  In fact the existing use of
_GCC_RUNTIME in bsd.gcc.mk is equally wrong and is also just a work-
around for lang/gcc* bugs.

>Perhaps it would help if USE_GCC or USES=3Dcompiler exposed a variable
>indicating the runtime?

This is not correct either.  A port using lang/gcc should not need to
know about the compiler internals.  If code compiled with gcc46 needs
to be linked against non-standard libraries then using gcc46 for
linking should be sufficient - it shouldn't be necessary to add
magic "-Wl,-rpath=3D..." options.

(IMO, the whole -L/-rpath approach is broken: The runtime searchpath
should default to the linktime searchpath.  Unfortunately, fixing that
isn't possible).

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs