Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 2009 00:52:37 +0200
From:      Aragon Gouveia <aragon@phat.za.net>
To:        "Paul B. Mahol" <onemda@gmail.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: snd_hda(4) on 8.0-BETA1 not working for me

Hi,

Paul B. Mahol wrote:
> On 7/10/09, Aragon Gouveia <aragon@phat.za.net> wrote:
>> Not having any luck with snd_hda(4) on 8.0-BETA1.  Everything seems to
>> load fine, but getting no sound from mplayer, nor anything when catting
>> /dev/random to /dev/dsp.  Tried setting vol, pcm, and speaker levels to
>> 100% with mixer(8), no difference.
>>
>> dmesg pasted below.  Any ideas?
>
> It worked before?
> You tried changing hw.snd.default_unit?
> Posting hdac verbose output is much more useful.

Yea, I did try adjusting default_unit.  After more experimenting I
noticed that I could get sound from the headphone jack, just not the
built-in speakers.  I spent some time tonight experimenting with snd_hda
and I've got it working.  The fix was:

hint.hdac.0.config="gpio2"

in loader.conf

This is on a Dell XPS M1330 in case anyone else bumps into this. :)

Thanks,
Aragon