Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 11:50:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        stephane@e2c.com (Stephane Legrand)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Database server on FreeBSD

> I have to do a proposal for a database project. Of course, i would want to
> make this with FreeBSD (eventually Linux).
> The aim of this project is to connect (may be via Internet) 40 distant
> sites to a central database server. All clients posts are PC with Windows.
> My questions are :
>
>         - Which database server would you recommend ? I think about
> Postgres but may be there are others.

Postgres would certainly work.  I've heard good things about msql, but
haven't had an opportunity to try it yet.

>         - With this server, which type of clients would you recommend (www
> browser, ODBC client developped with Delphi or Visual Basic...) ?

A web browser would make your UI able to run on *any* system.  If you
need help with an http server that can query a database, email me
directly.  I do this for a living ;^) and can probably slide you some
code that will help greatly.

> I think the major problem is to find a good server which can be used via
> Windows clients.

I keep hoping somebody will develop a JDBC layer for Postgres on FreeBSD.

> The price is important because it's for an association which is involved in
> helping homeless. This is why i would want to use FreeBSD (among many other
> reasons). And it would be well if at least the server was free.

And perhaps the clients as well -- you could just modify the rc.local to
start X and netscape, and point the netscape "home" at your server, making
the client machine a dedicated application.