Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 19:07:09 -0400
From:      "Christopher J. Booth" <cbooth@onyx.interactive.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FTPing 2.2--Great Progress, But....

Yesterday I recieved some great advice on how to approach trying to ftp
FreeBSD 2.2. I labored from dusk to dawn (with a midnight interlude for Ben &
Jerry's ice cream), and learned much. Since I did learn a lot, I don't grudge
the time or lost sleep. But now I am at a logjam and don't know how to
progress.

I now know how to boot with -c to get my sio2 modem working--cool!--, and I
have managed to dial out having booted from a 2.2 boot/install floppy, but I
hang at logging in to a FreeBSD ftp site. I've tried every ftp site listed at
FreeBSD.org as being a U.S. site. No difference at any.

Dialing out seems to go fine. I hear the modem do its thing, and I hear it
negociate with my ISP as normal. Doing "show log" indicates that I have logged
in successfully. I do alt-F1, recieve a warning that I will lose data on my
hard drive if I continue, see a few install mesages, and finally the following
message: Logging in to ftp@ftp.freebsd.org. After a few minutes of nothing
else another window comes up with the message:

   Couldn't open FTP connection to ftp.freebsd.org:

   Unknown error

Can anybody advise me on this?

Thanks to you all. This is a great list.

ps: When I hit alt F2, I key in the following--am I missing something that
will enable the ftp?

   set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT&F0 OK-AT-OK
\\dATDT<isp's phone number>\T TIMEOUT 60 CONNECT"

   set login "TIMEOUT 5 ogin:-\\r-ogin: <my id> word: <my password>"

   dial

Then it dials, connects, and....

--

Chris Booth