Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:08:42 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <larryd@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote tar/rmt

|  From:          "Craig Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM>

|  I have a question about doing a tar to a device on another host.
|  Using the tar command does not seem to work.  The man page says
|  you should be able to do "tar -cvf otherhost:/dev/rst0 local.files". But
|  this just hangs.  Does anyone use tar to do backups to a remote device?

What user are you doing this under, root?  If so, otherhost:/root/.rhosts
needs to allow access to your host.  If not root, then the same user must
exist on both, and /etc/hosts.equiv is involved.

But it normally will come back and say "permission denied" if you haven't
set this up.  The waters get muddier of NIS is deployed; can't touch that
one.

The older style (from Sun manpages):

 tar cvfb  -  20 filenames | rsh host dd of=/dev/rst0  obs=20b

I've never tested it under FreeBSD, but the rsh considerations
(/etc/hosts.equiv and/or ~root/.rhosts) still apply.  We did use this
approach with the Suns and it worked.

cheers,
larry