Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 2000 08:05:25 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   excluding a file/dir from a tar file

I know the flag is --exclude, but where exactly do I put the flag in?
Could someone post an example of a working version of this:

tar cvzf --exclude /server --exclude /mail /server/master.tgz /

I want to exclude the two partitions to keep the tarball small enough to
record to a cdrom for backup purposes, but everytime I use the --exclude
option, I end up with a new file created with the name '--exclude'.
Seeing as how rm doesn't like filenames with a '-' prepended to them,
I've been having some difficulty trying to clean uo 600~meg '--exclude'
files from my system.

I just want to create a tar file of the root, without including anything
in /server, or /mail. Suggestions?

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com