Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 21:44:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Dave Smith <dsmith@n2.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a Layer 4 Switch,

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Dave Smith wrote:

> I believe that port redirection is only part of what a layer 4 switch
> has to offer.
>
> With most layer 4 switches I believe you get load balancing amongst a
> group of machines.  Then if one goes down, the load gets transfered to
> the other machines in the group.
>
> Has anyone thought about this type of an application?  I know that it
> would really put FreeBSD on the map if this was available for free.

I've been thinking about a freeware reimplementation of the IBM's network
dispatcher (http://www.software.ibm.com/network/dispatcher). Sounds like
something easy to implement without (almost) any mofdifications to the
system, and it seems to work well (at least what their experience in
Nagano shows). Any takers? :-)

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------