Date:      Sat, 06 Feb 2010 11:36:20 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?B?R3VzdGF1IFDDqXJleg==?= <gperez@entel.upc.edu>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems accessing files with gvfs-fuse-daemon

  Hi everyone,

  I'm having problems with gvfs-fuse-daemon. I'm trying to find out why
apps like vlc are unable to read files
in a samba share. As you may know, if you try to open a file in a share
throu nautilus, if the apps is not gvfs-aware nautilus launches the apps
passing a filename like :

         $HOME/.gvfs/share in server/file.avi

   then through it works through the gvfs-fuse-daemon which does the magic.

   Well, anytime I try this, the app seems to freeze. No matter which
app I try. So I decided to open a terminal a did like this :

         # cp $HOME/.gvfs/share in server/file.avi /tmp

   Then, with tcpdump I saw a few packets were transferred between the
server and the client then transfer stopped. In the terminal I got and
Input/output error.

   Even the gvfs-* apps (like gvfs-cat, gvfs-copy) fail. The error with
this apps comes from glib (gio part, when making a read syscall, so it
makes me think that probably the error is in gvfs-fuse-daemon, when the
kernel returns the read syscall to the fuse daemon that handles the
reads in that mount point).

   I noticed that when I let gnome-session launch gvfs-fuse-daemon
without arguments (normal situation) the transfer stops at 1Mb of size.

   If I try launching gvfs-fuse-daemon with "-o direct_io" in a
different mount like (say .gvfs_tmp), then I'm able
to copy files with both cp and gvfs-copy through that mount point. Even
I'm able to play mp3 files with mpg123, but vlc, totem and other apps
still fail to access that share (they transfer a little amount of data
and then they stop).

   With this config (with .gvfs_tmp, -o direct_io), If I try to launch
and mpg123 (which works) and then and vlc instance, everything freezes
again. mpg123 stops playing until I kill vlc, then it can continue
playing. The same with kaffeine and other friends not gvfs-aware.

   As I said, if I let gvfs-fuse-daemon without options (as
gnome-session does) I can do nothing through .gvfs/. No cp, no mpg123,
anything at all. -o direct_io allows me a few things.

   I'm yesterday updated (before the jpeg library update). gvfs is 1.4.3_1.

   My system is kernel and world updated too :

        FreeBSD gusiport 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Fri Feb  5
18:50:54 CET 2010
        root@gusiport:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM  amd64

   Clean /etc/src.conf (no special options given there). The fuse
module is update before the kernel and world were last updated.

    I'm puzzled because I saw anyone having such a problem. I checked
/usr/ports/UPDATING, just I case I missed anything importa.

   Is anyone having such a problem ? Any idea where can I start
debugging ? If I can provide any additional info, let me know.

   Regards,

   Gus

--
PGP KEY : http://www-entel.upc.edu/gus/gus.asc