Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:01:15 +0100
From:      Marcus Haebler <mh@muenster.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fsck stops with: cannot find inode (on ccd device)

Hi,

I am having a problem with a ccd that seems to loose inodes on
a FreeBSD-2.2-Stable. Everytime fsck cannot find the inode it
stops and I do a "clri <inode no>" to restart fsck -y. This seems
to take for ages since the system is on 7x9GB (SCSI).

My questions:

1. Is there any other way to do this in the first place?

2. Since the loss of inodes is in general a bad thing is there
a way to determine why? I watched the HD-LEDs when doing the crli
and everytime two HDs blinked. One of them was always ID 0. Since
I have no knowledge so far how the ccd organizes the disks, I would
like to know if this is normal. Or does this indicate that there is
something wrong with the HD on ID 0?

3. My guess is that the disk is silently mapping out bad sectors
and this causes the FS to break. Is there a way to take a look at
the bad sector table of a SCSI HD under FreeBSD or determine somehow
that sectors got mapped out? As far as I remember SCSI maps out
silently and you cannot get access to that table.

Many thanks in advance,

Marcus Haebler