Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 11:21:39 -0300
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl, ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw2 vs. ipfw1 and 4.7

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> in defense of daniel, this particular problem has a know fix (attached
> to his message) and it "just" requires some amount of committer
> time (more than what i have spent in replying to this thread)
> to put it into stable, verify that it works as desired, get
> re@ approval and do the commmit.
>
> Daniel is not a committer so the most he can do is remind me of the
> pending MFC, which i appreciate.  Now, the tone might have been
> slightly different, but i am just looking at the good intentions
> behind it.

Actually, I am a committer. I don't know what I would have done or not
had I suspected the fix had *not* been merged. I was, however, under the
distinct impression it had already been merged. Looking back, I see that
you said "which reminds me I have to...", so I got the impression you
were going to do it, which somehow become the impression that you had
done it.

The fix was actually provided by yourself, in the message in which you
asked for feedback given that 4.7 was entering the release process. I
mentioned in my reply to that the bug *did* cause me trouble.

Perhaps the trouble this caused me makes me touchy about it, but I
extremely dislike known problems with known fixes left unattended on
-stable, and I dislike this even more when we are preparing a release.

Every bug in a release gives us a black eye. If we don't know about the
bug, if it's difficult to reproduce, if the fix has subtle side-effects
or has complications or is just plain difficult, I understand that. But
a simple bug, easily reproduced, easily fixed, with no side effects?
That does annoy me.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes

Outros:
	dcs@newsguy.com
	dcs@freebsd.org