Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 11:13:06 +0100
From:      nclayton@lehman.com
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>, jesusr@ncsa.es, chris@calldei.com
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't build handbook

On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 11:13:33PM +0200, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> On 1999-05-08 21:25:39 +0200, Jesus Rodriguez wrote:
> > On 08-May-99 Chris Costello wrote:
> > Use make DOC_PREFIX=/where_your_doc_tree_is
> >
> > If it's in /usr/cvs/doc use:
> >
> > make DOC_PREFIX=/usr/cvs/doc
>
> That is a bug in doc/share/mk/docproj.docbook.mk
> docproj.docbook.mk should not assume that the root of doc
> is /usr/doc.

What should it assume it to be?  I thought /usr/doc was the traditional
place to put a checked out copy of the doc/ repository.

If people would prefer, I can change it to something like

    .BEGIN:
    .if !defined(DOC_PREFIX)
            @${ECHO} "You must set the DOC_PREFIX variable to point to"
            @${ECHO} "the top of your checked out copy of the doc/"
            @${ECHO} "repository.  For example:"
            @${ECHO}
            @${ECHO} "    % make DOC_PREFIX=/usr/doc <target>"
    .endif

instead?

However, I don't know how many people are currently using /usr/doc, and
are therefore having no problems with the current setup.  The above change
would affect *everyone*.

Alternatively, if anyone's got any ideas about how I can do away with
DOC_PREFIX altogether then I'm all ears.  The problem it solves is as
follows;

  The doc/ tree contains doc/share/sgml/*, and doc/<lang>/share/sgml/*.

  jade needs to be able to find these files when it's doing the conversion.

  Relative paths don't work across the entire doc/ tree.  If you're in
  doc/en/handbook then DOC_PREFIX=../.. works quite nicely.  However, if
  you're in doc/en/tutorials/docproj-primer then you need to use
  DOC_PREFIX=../../.. instead.

  So the simplest solution is to set it to a hardcoded path, hence the

      DOC_PREFIX?=/usr/doc

  in docproj.docbook.mk, because I figured that most people work on a
  checked out copy of the tree under /usr/doc.

Just to tie in another thread.  As and when we move to

    doc/<lang>/books/*
    doc/<lang>/articles/*

then the DOC_PREFIX hack will disappear, because each piece of documentation
will be at the same level in the tree.  Essentially, DOC_PREFIX will always
be "../../..".  This is another good reason for doing the change, and a
good example of why I intensely dislike the current "special cases" for the
FAQ and Handbook.

--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--
--+==[              Year 2000 Testing: It's about time. . .             ]==+--