Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 21:38:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, nadav@cs.Technion.AC.IL, jandrese@mitre.org, acahalan@cs.uml.edu
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

] Terry Lambert writes:
]
] > I don't understand the inability to perform the trivial
] > design engineering necessary to keep from needing to put
] > 60,000 files in one directory.
] >
] > However, we can take it as a given that people who need
] > to do this are incapable of doing computer science.
]
] One could say the same about the design engineering necessary
] to handle 60,000 files in one directory. You're making excuses.

No, I'm not.  I released trie patches for FreeBSD directory
sotrage in 1995.

No one thought they were very useful, because only morons
would treat a filesystem as if it were a database, instead
of using a database as a database.

If you want to get technical, a filesystem is a form of a
database... but it's a _hierarchical_ database, like DNS or
LDAP, and trying to use it as a _relational_ database, with
key/value pairs, is still a stupid idea.  Use the right tool
for the job.

] People _want_ to do this, and it often performs better on
] a modern filesystem. This is not about need; it's about
] keeping ugly hacks out of the app code.
]
] http://www.namesys.com/5_1.html

I'm glad you said "people want to do this" instead of saying
"computer professionals want to do this".

The 60,000 file "benchmark" is meaningless to a properly
designed system.

] > (the rationale behind this last is that people who can't
] > design around needing 60,000 files in a single directory
] > are probably going to to be unable to correctly remember
] > the names of the files they created, since if they could,
] > then they could remember things like ./a/a/aardvark or
] > ./a/b/abominable).
]
] Eeew. "./a/b/abominable" is a disgusting old hack used to
] work around traditional filesystem deficiencies.

No, it's a hack to work around being too damn lazy to use
a database where it makes sense to use a database.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.