Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:15:04 +0200
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ssh, NFS and gigabit troubles

	Hi,

	I am having a small nightmare that I would like some hints on :(

	I have two FreeBSD 4.5-stable (a few days old) boxes one AMD K6-500
the other an AMD K7-1200/266. Both have Target 10/100/1000 cards (DP83820
based) and are connected with a CAT5 crossover. OK that's the setup in
a nutshell now the problems:

	ssh - the slow box gets "fatal: Received packet with bad string
length" messages and connections drop - connection setup seems particularly
prone, once up a session may run for an hour without dropping out, this
after a dozen or more connection failures in rapid succession. An
scp from the slow box to the fast box almost always works perfectly,
the other way round always fails quickly. The failure point is random.
The fast box never gets the bad string length messages. There seem to
be fewer failures when there is a lot of traffic on the link than when
it is quiet.

	nfs - mounting discs served by the fast box on the slow box
appears to work, but when stressed (ls -R) directories disappear and don't
come back. The other way round works perfectly.

	ftp - Always works both ways I have transferred several gigabytes
back and forth and the checksums always match.

	netpipe - occasionally fails (I've seen it twice in many hours of
running) with the slow box at the receive end.

	Pushing the link down to 100 Mbit makes no difference, pushing
it down to 10Mbit makes all the troubles vanish. Throughput on 1000baseTX
maxes out at about 140 Mbps with the k6 flat out.

	Hardware in more detail (if it helps)

	Fast box - AMD K7 1200/266, VIA KT133A/686B, 256 MB

	Slow box - AMD K6 500, SiS 5595 (w. SiS 530 on board AGP video
                   stealing some of the main memory). 128 MB (-8MB)

--
C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                    |A Better Way To Focus The Sun