Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 1995 02:30:08 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install bug for big minor numbers

On Tue, 6 Jun 1995, Steven G. Kargl wrote:

> According to Peter Dufault:
> >
> > Brian: can you think of anything you did that may have broken things?
> > Bruce mentioned that "tar" loses on this.  Does anyone else have broken
> > control entries for the SCSI devices?

    Nope... I didn't get a chance to, not being able to bring up a
shell during the installation process to effect any changes.  :(  I
didn't have time tonight to go through the installation process again
though (and it's almost 2:30 am again... *sigh*).

> This is from a 2.0.5-ALPHA installation on Sunday (6-4-95).
>

> troutmask[9] rm rsd0.ctl
> troutmask[10] sh MAKEDEV sd0
> troutmask[11] !ll
> ll rsd*.ctl
> crw-------  1 root  wheel   13, 536870912 Jun  6 10:30 rsd0.ctl
> crw-------  1 root  wheel   13,   8 May 29 05:48 rsd1.ctl
> crw-------  1 root  wheel   13,  16 May 29 05:48 rsd2.ctl
> crw-------  1 root  wheel   13,  24 May 29 05:48 rsd3.ctl

    Hmmmm... so something in the installer is futzing up the minor
numbers.  Jordan, are you sure the installer isn't running MAKEDEV,
*then* untarring bogus /dev entries from a tarball on top of the ones
already created?
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org