Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2001 06:44:44 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Eli Dart <dart@nersc.gov>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail list is posting gone virus!!!!

On 2001-Dec-05 08:53:39 -0800, Eli Dart <dart@nersc.gov> wrote:
>Brett makes a very good point.  This is a _security_ mailing list,
>for discussion of security issues.  IMHO, there is no need for
>anything but plaintext traffic on this list.  If people are going to
>send patches, they can include them as part of the text of the
>message.  This means that PGP signatures get lost, but exceptions can
>be made if that's deemed important.

Personally, I think that - as a security list - the ability to
include PGP signatures is critical.  Official security announcements
are signed - this is a good thing.  It may also be relevant to
occasionally submit small amounts of code when discussing security
issues.  Overall, I'd like to allow the use of MIME, but restrict
it to text/plain, application/pgp-signature (and similar) and
maybe text/quoted-printable (with a restriction to ensure that the
latter is really text).  (Yes, you can write an ASCII virus, but
it takes more skill than most virus writers have).

Peter