Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 2003 22:45:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy@siliconlandmark.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Current List <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: INET6 in world

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Bernd Walter wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 03:32:47PM +0200, Harti Brandt wrote:
> > > What's the sense of enabling and using IPv6, if your infrastucture
> > > in the company doesn't support it (because of the overhead with routing
> > > (hardware vs. software routing)) and you don't have an IPv6 connection to
> > > the outside world. Well, you could ping localhost per IPv6...
> >
> > That's chicken/egg - IPv6 never will be widely used if everyone thinks
> > that way.
> > The sense is to break this dependency loop by ecouraging everyone to
> > use it and not to make it easier to completely disable the support.
> > As I said: you -always- have an IPv6 connection to the outside world
> > as long as you have a single official IPv4 address.
> > Not using it because it doesn't fit in your current network is one
> > point, but disabling it in a way to make a future step to IPv6
> > harder is another.
> > The number of IPv4 only systems is already big enough - we don't need
> > to build new ones.

This has been so over-argued, I don't think there's anything else to say
on the matter except: Use the right tool for the right job.

If you don't see yourself keeping your installation for a few years, then
go ahead with your IPv4-only installation. More environments are starting
to become "mixed" and this is a trend that will only accelerate as more
sites embrace IPv6.

> The problem, as I see it, is that it doesn't come enabled by
> default on Windows systems.  Until it does, it's never going
> to get any traction.

This is really OT, but Windows XP Professional does ship with an IPv6
stack. At the cmd prompt, type 'ipv6 install' and it'll load the
"Microsoft IPv6 Developer Edition" protocol suite. Enjoy.

> I wouldn't be surprised if the government has asked Microsoft
> to not deploy it, or to deploy it without encryption support,
> given world events.

Well, given that they've included IPSEC in their latest operating system
releases, I can't really say that I agree with that statement.

To get back to the original question, NO_IPV4 and NO_IPV6 world knobs
would be nice and would keep everyone happy for years to come! :-)

Regards,