Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 23:58:40 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Archive pruning

Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> > > Actually, I didn't start this. Someone else brought up the idea.
> >
> > ...and quickly decided it was not worthwhile.
>
> Yes, the developers do a good job of repressing opinions that differ from
> their own.

	But good ideas take on a life of their own, regardless. The trick is,
code talks. I could give you lots of examples, but it wouldn't make any
difference since you're just restating the same points over and over
again regardless of what people are telling you.

> > I haven't heard anyone say that. What I have heard is "too much work for
> > too little gain". If you still disagree, it's time to put up or shut up
>
> And if I put up, will you (the organization) use it?

	What, "the organization?" FreeBSD is the users, not the people you're
busy pissing off. Figure out a way to make your idea work, then figure
out a way to make a port of it. I think the cvsup-mirror port is a good
example of something in the same family (maybe a distant cousin). Then
submit your port, and let's see how many people actually do find it
valuable. I can't speak for any of the committers, but I'd almost
guarantee that several people who've responded to this thread would be
willing to commit your port just for the chance to see it go down in
flames, which is as close to a guarantee as you're going to get.

	Any further discussion from you on this point that doesn't include code
is totally and completely without value. You haven't proven the value of
your suggestion to _anyone's_ satisfaction, so no one is going to do it
for you. So if you're not willing to actually do it, please let it drop.

Good luck,

Doug
--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.