Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 10:54:49 -0700
From:      Marc Mosko <marc@computer.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VM system

I'm a grad student at UCSC and was thinking of doing a 1 quarter project
on VM memory systems for a computer architecture class.  I would like to
use FreeBSD for my OS platform, since I have all the source code and a
system at home I can freely recompile.  I looked at section 22.2 of the
FreeBSD handbook for what little documentation there is there.  It was a
bit helpful, but rather sparse.

Is there anything else written up about how FreeBSD uses VM?  How
similar is it to 4.4 BSD?  (I have the 4.4 BSD book).

In particular, I am interested in the three-tier page table structure of
the Intel x86 series.  My project would deal either with performance
comparisons between the three-tier 4k mode and the two-tier 2M mode, or
using a special memory region of CAM memory rather than standard main
memory of the page table.

Thanks,
--
   Marc Mosko                   Email: marc@computer.org