Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 16:25:22 -0400
From:      Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Moving from wd to sd

We have a bit of a strange situation. We've recently had a customer move
over to us and want their server upgraded. Now most of these upgrades
we've already done (such as more memory, upgrade to 2.2.7, etc.) but
we are also recommending that they "drop" using the internal IDE drive
and instead use SCSI (they already have a 2940 installed and are using it
only to drive a DAT backup). Now the process in moving the files from
the IDE to SCSI are pretty easy (use sysinstall to format and partition
the SCSI drive, then temp mount it and use a dump|restore pipe to
transfer the file systems). All well and good. The "problem" is that
obviously we now want to boot from the SCSI drive, not the IDE drive.
I'm planning on just removing the IDE drive (but keeping the CDROM rom,
which is also IDE... Hmmm. possible problem?) but need to adjust the MBR
to boot from 'sd' by default. We'll have a weird setup (SCSI drive for FBSD
but using the IDE CDROM, since it's not used hardly at all)...

Any ideas on how to easily implement this?

TIA!

--
Jim Jagielski  << jim@jaguNET.com >>  |  http://www.jaguNET.com/
    j a g u N E T   A c c e s s   S e r v i c e s,   L L C