Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 14:59:31 +0100
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
To:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net, michael@blueneptune.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there still problems with Adaptec UW controllers (fwd)

At 19:56 19/08/97 -0500, dkelly@HiWAAY.net wrote:
>michael@blueneptune.com writes:
>>
>> Here are some more details about our particular case of having problems
>> with FreeBSD and (apparently) the Adaptec UW controller:
>>
>> Hardware configuration:
>>
>> 	CPU:  AMD K6 CPU
>[snip]
>
>Have you been following the thread on AMD K6 problems? With the problems
>*everyone* else is having with the K6 and "make world" it would be hard
>not to attribute your problems to the K6 unless you can reproduce the
>same problems with another model CPU.

I haven't been following that thread, however, I'm a little concerned about
the PCI kernel code generally in 2.2.2.

I have just finally given up on some DEC 21*** PCI ethercards in our
servers following a number of problems with them -- one of which is an
apparent conflict with the 2940UW and 2940U.

Interestingly, the problems (which manifest as SCB timeouts on idle and
some possible corruption) did not stop until I'd removed not only the cards
but also the de0 code. These are production machines, so I'm afraid that I
wasn't able to do a proper bug report in the rush to get everything running
again, and have no redundancy for testing. The ether cards now work fine
alongside ATA controllers under W95.

We are running 2.2.2-RELEASE on Intel P100 and P150, not the K6. Both HX
and VX motherboards were affected. I wonder if the problems seen by some
2940 users might be related to conflicts with other PCI drivers.

Incidentally, if anyone can suggest alternative 100 Mbit ether cards which
they've had working happily with 2940s I'd be grateful for a tip.

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction & Forensic Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team (Extn. 49178)
Vox: +44 (0)115 952 9478  Fax: +44 (0)115 952 9421
Email: robmel@nadt.org.uk
WWW:   http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt/